Monday, February 9, 2009

Crossing the Equator




February 6, 7, 8, 9, 2009 At sea off Africa

We are clipping along at 24-26 knots down the coast of Africa. Yesterday we stopped in Dakar, Senegal for bunkering. Nobody was allowed to get off the ship, but we took some pictures, and we thought and talked of Janet all day.
Our Burtner Shipboard family gathered for dinner. We have nine students in our family, three boys and six girls. Les & I had purchased little gifts for them all in Morocco. We will get together again tomorrow night for a cookie party in Matthew & Aniseh’s room. They are excited to see one of the big rooms.
I’ve had my first biology test and got back my first creative writing paper. Matthew is busy preparing for his classes, and his MICE group have a concert today in honor of crossing the equator.
Wendy and I are now Shellbacks! Today we had the ceremony for the equator. (We actually cross tomorrow, the 10th.) The captain dressed up as Neptune, painting himself all green. He had a queen and other attendants. First we went to a shallow pool where they poured green goo over our heads. Then we kissed a fish, bowed to the king and kissed his ring, and prostrated ourselves in front of the queen. Then we jumped in the pool, climbed out, kissed another fish, and were knighted with a big sword. We did all this holding hands as we were both a little cautious. Later Matthew followed us, carrying Barrett. Many of the students are then having their heads shaved as part of the ceremony. I have threatened to do this so I can look like Les, but I think we’ve decided I won’t. I do not want to scare my Japanese friends when we get there!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Judy, I look forward everyday to your blog entries. What an interesting and exciting time you're having. We're leaving for Kanab tomorrow morning, but I'll continue to follow your adventures down there. No, I don't think you should shave your head to be like Les! Let him be unique. I hope you did well on your exam and your paper.

s.koch said...

Judith & Les, what a wonderful adventure you are on! I am so envious, it makes me think of retirement. As always the Tyson family misses you. Keep up the great pictures and blog, I look forward to following you around the world. Sue K.