Saturday, April 11, 2009

more Japan



Kyoko treated us to a real Japanese breakfast the second day: miso soup, salmon, rice, egg, green tea and more. She was off from work at the nursery, so was able to go with Isao, Les, and me to the Toyoto Automobile Museum. I wished that my brother Gary had been with us, but I had to settle with buying him a souvenir.
Les and I were just taking off for a walk around Isao’s neighborhood when Kyoko got a call – my pen pal of 49 years, almost a half-century, was nearby at the subway station. We met Setsuko and her husband Takashi, and I couldn’t take my eyes off her! I had never heard her voice, so I liked listening to her talk. I was happy just to be beside Setsuko. We shared photos, and she even had some of my first letters written in 1961. Setsuko had brought some homemade sushi (oshi!), and Kyoko and Isao loaded the table with many dishes and treats. I think we were eating together for at least three hours. Isao is such a good host - - we all had a happy time together! More ….

No comments: